Poll: Has democracy ended in the United States?
Yes. We have one party rule.
No, as long as I get what I want.
No, but it is in danger.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Has democracy ended in the U.S.?
(07-02-2018, 02:33 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is another way of saying what I was trying to say. 

I know. The way you put it could be interpreted in a much different way, but I knew that was what you were getting at.

(07-02-2018, 02:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: In regards to plutocracy, one can argue this has been the case since the colonial & revolution days.

But the corporatocracy, now that is something to think about it because of the amount of influence corporations have on the media and those in power. Throw in the influence from the MIC and NSIC (Military and National Security Industrial Complex) coupled with corporate influence, then imo, then we very well are just living under a system that on the face still looks like a Democracy.

It should be noted that any decline of our democracy is not because of Trump, but because of other powers to be that have been in place since the 1960s.

One could argue the plutocracy point from the beginning, but we've had an ebb and flow of democracy since then. The Reconstruction Amendments democratized the country, so did women's suffrage. Through history we have seen plutocracy and democracy battle each other. Because of the decline in wealth and some of the effective policies, we were highly democratic in the post-WWII era for a couple of decades, then things changed about 40 years ago and have been getting worse since.

As to your last point, I agree. I've even said in this thread that Trump is a result, not a cause.

(07-02-2018, 03:01 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Robert Reich has been bugging my house over the last 15+ years...... Ninja

You ought to check out his works; it's some good stuff.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has democracy ended in the U.S.? - Belsnickel - 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM
RE: Has democracy ended in the U.S.? - J24 - 07-03-2018, 01:10 AM
RE: Has democracy ended in the U.S.? - J24 - 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM