Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concern about the level of officiating
This is probably more of an 'Around the NFL' topic, but I thought it were make for some good discussion for Jungle Noise as well, especially given all the talk we've had about officiating in the past.

Kevin Seifert, ESPN

A new anxiety is filtering through the NFL's officiating ranks. The first training camp opens in 10 days. Preseason games are less than a month away. There has been unprecedented turnover among referees, including two unexpected retirements last month. And because of late approval from owners, hardly any of the league's 121 officials have been briefed in detail on a series of rule changes that will require fundamental changes in the way they administrate games.

That confluence will make for a hectic three days this weekend in Dallas, where senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron will lead the league's annual officiating clinic. Some of the apprehension will be soothed there, but even informed observers worry that the NFL is asking too much of the department, given the circumstances.

In short, the NFL will navigate the biggest collection of rule changes in recent memory this year with one of its least experienced groups of officials ever.

"To be quite honest," former NFL officiating supervisor Jim Daopoulos said, "I have a concern about the level of officiating because of the inexperience out there and with the new rule changes. You've got so many things that the young officials are going to have to learn and the veteran officials are going to have to learn."

"It's going to be a very interesting year, and I think Al Riveron has really got his hands full. It's going to be really tough. You think about the  experience he's lost this year and trying to replace these guys, it's going to make for some tough Sundays watching football."

Full article
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Concern about the level of officiating - Bengalholic - 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM