Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
US income inequality continues to grow
(08-02-2018, 11:02 AM)Beaker Wrote: All of this is true. But none of it precludes people from living comfortably in the middle class, nor does it prevent them from economic mobility. It may make economic mobility more of a challenge, but does not prevent it. 

It does decrease the size of the middle class, though. And it does prevent economic mobility. Making it more of a challenge is, by definition, preventing it. A better way to put it would be that it doesn't make it impossible, just highly improbable.

(08-02-2018, 11:02 AM)Beaker Wrote: I think its a telltale bad sign about our society when people start to blame others for their situation and use that as an excuse for inaction rather than finding the industry, smart decisions and perseverance to see if you can't change your situation yourself. 

I think that efforts to craft policies that create a social safety net, improve worker conditions and pay, and other things of that nature is a way of changing your situation yourself as well as others. Recognizing the injustices that are occurring in society and then using your vote, your voice, your pen, whatever to push for changes to correct those injustices isn't inaction, it is working to create a better, more equitable society. If the system is rigged against you then you can either work against the system or work to change the system itself. I prefer to work to change the system itself so that others can thrive, as well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: US income inequality continues to grow - Belsnickel - 08-02-2018, 11:26 AM