Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
US income inequality continues to grow
(08-02-2018, 11:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Making it more of a challenge is, by definition, preventing it. A better way to put it would be that it doesn't make it impossible, just highly improbable.

I disagree in that prevent means to keep from happening. These policies don't prevent you, they make the challenge  larger, but do not prevent. 

Quote:I think that efforts to craft policies that create a social safety net, improve worker conditions and pay, and other things of that nature is a way of changing your situation yourself as well as others. Recognizing the injustices that are occurring in society and then using your vote, your voice, your pen, whatever to push for changes to correct those injustices isn't inaction, it is working to create a better, more equitable society. If the system is rigged against you then you can either work against the system or work to change the system itself. I prefer to work to change the system itself so that others can thrive, as well.

I agree that voting to change things is part of an individual working to better their position. But I disagree in that I don't think economic equality within or between classes will ever be achieved, nor should it be expected. And that's ok. It is just framed too often in the form of "look what somebody else has, that's not fair" which fosters entitlement rather than innovation and perseverance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: US income inequality continues to grow - Beaker - 08-02-2018, 11:46 AM