Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you explain to a child the difference?
(08-27-2018, 10:59 AM)Benton Wrote: When I was growing up, my parents taught me to respect the cops, but stick to your rights. Don't let them search your vehicle, don't talk to them until a parent has been contacted, etc.

These days, I tell my kids to respect the police, ask for an adult/another officer to be called and then do whatever they say. Rights are kind of out the window at this point. Too often police are using 'well, he wouldn't comply with a search of his vehicle, so I found probable cause.'

Except that's not PC.  They can search the vehicle but won't be able to use whatever they find in court.  The best advice you can give anyone is follow instructions and be polite, regardless of the officer's demeanor.  If you are done dirty you'll win in court or, much more likely, won't even be formally charged.  Don't argue the law, even if you're right.  Like most human interactions, if you're calm and polite it will go well.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you explain to a child the difference? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM