Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... who wrote the NYT op-ed?
(09-11-2018, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It kind of goes back to the beneath the office thing. I think what Obama did (criticizing his successor at a political rally) is beneath the office. Yet in this very thread we have folks stating why it is justified that he do so. I think when Trump tweets petty stuff it is beneath the office; yet there are people that suggest he is justified in doing so.

More points:

1. People aren't just criticizing Trump because of the many things he has done which are beneath the office--way beneath it.  Or because he is uncivil. The problem is that he is ignorant of government, world politics, and unstable and angry, easily manipulated. Angry, irresponsible tweets are not just rude. They show the commander in chief is unfocused, unable to prioritize, easily diverted from larger responsibilities, and gets his news from questionable sources. This has consequences for national security, the potential to undo years of diplomatic accomplishment.

Rather than say "but some feel Trump is a good president,"  why not explain why, in your view, Trump's most concerning actions will not likely have serious consequences.  E.g., Trump is on record saying he doesn't think we need troops in Korea. He wants to bring them home. His generals and secretaries of state and intel directors appear unable to convince him that "we are there to prevent WW III."  Do you think their concern about his inability/unwillingness to understand their explanations is invalid?  Tack onto that the impulsive summit with Kim, the insistence that the nuke problem was solved after that, and evidence of current intel that NK's nuclear program is proceeding apace while the previous work of sanctions is largely undone.  If generals and intel directors and state department officials worry about Trump's behavior, shouldn't I worry too? 

2. We are not supposed to make noise in the library. But if there is a fire, even a librarian can be excused for breaking this norm and yelling "fire."  The difference between people who think Obama actions are not "beneath the office," and those who think they make him no different than Trump, is that the former think Trump poses a danger, given the immense power and protection accorded him, and his inability to control himself or learn from mistakes. The latter don't see a danger.  No fire.

Since I think Trump poses a real danger, I am more than suggesting Obama was right to step up address the impending constitutional crisis.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - hollodero - 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Au165 - 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Dill - 09-10-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Vlad - 09-10-2018, 10:45 PM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Vlad - 09-10-2018, 09:30 PM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Dill - 09-11-2018, 04:15 PM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Dill - 09-11-2018, 04:00 PM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Dill - 09-11-2018, 06:17 PM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Dill - 09-12-2018, 10:42 AM
RE: So... who wrote the NYT op-ed? - Dill - 09-12-2018, 01:58 AM