Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trump Lovers backing off
(09-19-2018, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well if considering declassifying documents a move toward transparency is the mark of a Trump defender; then we'll consider me guilty on this occasion.

Of course only a rational person would try to assert declassification is not a step toward transparency because of who did it.

Yes--because of who did it--the president under investigation is using his power to derail that investigation.

The SUBSTANCE of the point is that 1) TWICE ALREADY at least calls for declassification have compromised FBI methods and assets without justifying the rationale for classification.  And 2) the declassification is politically motivated, as was the last round of declassification led by Devin Nunes.

Remember him? the guy now on tape saying it is the job of Republicans in Congress to protect Trump--head of the executive branch which Congress was intended to check.

Keep in mind that the original mandate of the House Intel Committee Nunes chairs was to investigate the Russian attack on the US elections and the degree of connection between Russians and the Trump campaign.  For the last two years he has been discharging that duty by protecting Trump, generating crazy media shows, after at least once recusing himself from duty.

This is the same guy who was shown, by White House officials, that Trump campaign members like Flynn had been "unmasked" at the request of Susan Rice back in 2016. And then he made a dog and pony show for the press, driving from the Capitol building to the WH to "inform" Trump as if he had made this "discovery"on the hill while poring over house intel committee documents. Followed by claims all this confirmed out Trump's tweet that Trump tower was "wiretapped" by Obama and demanding the record of requests and unmasking be made public. All we learned was that Flynn had talked to the Russians three times about undoing sanctions and lied about it. And Trump campaigners had been talking to spies. So then came "FISAgate," "bigger than Watergate"; the Democratic Party was finished. And . . .fizzle. . . except the FBI lost an asset and for anyone looking, a method of clandestine surveillance through assets was laid bare.

Now Trump wants documents he himself has not seen released to the public. Because, in his own words, the Russia investigation (which has produced how many indictments and guilty pleas?) is a "hoax." 

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/407335-exclusive-trump-says-exposing-corrupt-fbi-probe-could-be-crowning-achievement.

Trump said he had not read the documents he ordered declassified but said he expected to show they would prove the FBI case started as a political “hoax.”

“I have had many people ask me to release them. Not that I didn’t like the idea but I wanted to wait, I wanted to see where it was all going,” he said.

In the end, he said, his goal was to let the public decide by seeing the documents that have been kept secret for more than two years. “All I want to do is be transparent,” he said.

Asked what he thought the outcome of his long-running fight with the FBI, the president said: “I hope to be able put this up as one of my crowning achievements that I was able to ... expose something that is truly a cancer in our country.

So continues the kneecapping of the FBI, during an ONGOING investigation, creating FOX smoke on a hundred right wing blogs explaining how Hillary had enough time during her campaign to get the FBI to set up Trump jr. to discredit Trump AFTER the election. Or something.  Enough to keep the base pressuring Republican representatives to protect Trump from the deep state, from all those people who are angry at Trump's "audacity."  Smoking up all that "fake news" which keeps track of the facts.

Why are the actions of Trump and defenders not a wholesale downgrading of trust in necessary institutions, a degrading of the U.S. government, in a desperate attempt to save his own ass?  How can your defense of this square with your demands of "respect" for the flag. Symbol over substance?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Trump Lovers backing off - ballsofsteel - 09-14-2018, 04:50 PM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-14-2018, 05:05 PM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-15-2018, 12:01 AM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Vlad - 09-15-2018, 12:45 AM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-17-2018, 11:31 PM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-19-2018, 03:10 PM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Vlad - 09-15-2018, 12:03 AM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-17-2018, 11:56 AM
RE: Trump Lovers backing off - Dill - 09-17-2018, 12:15 PM