Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-24-2015, 09:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You've got some catching up to do.  I was referring to the recruiting in terms of Engineering and Medical professions.  Not enough Americans want to study those fields, to keep up with the demand of the job market.

I didn't realize you'd touched on that. My bad.
Quote:What does that tell me?  That most young Americans do not want to work that hard, to achieve the status that their parents have achieved.  They are content to simply be "comfortable" with a low wage, low output type of job.  Why strive for more, when low pay still affords cable tv, internet, a car, and a smartphone?

I don't know if I totally agree with those reasons why younger people don't pursue those degrees. First of all a majority of students wouldn't be accepted to those programs anyway. Parents here don't push their kids at younger ages like many are pushed in other countries. And those that do have the ability to pursue those types of degrees, I think are looking for financial type of degrees where they can make more money and less head ache. I don't think I'd want to be a doctor even if I had the talent for it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 05-24-2015, 10:28 PM