Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-24-2015, 11:07 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I don't disagree that upward mobility is still there, I just don't think it is there like it once was.  The gap between the rich and the poor is narrowing, meaning the middle class is disappearing.  There's a lot of people with degrees that can't find a decent paying job within the their field of study.  And I'm not talking about people with just a liberal arts degree.
I know guys with degree's in marketing, business, graphic design, programing...you get the point.  My own father had worked in commercial art/package design for 25yrs before they forced him into retirement, bring in someone younger and pay them less.  

Like I said in a post earlier, the gap between CEO's and his average employee's wage is outlandish compared to what CEO's made 30-40yrs ago.

Hey, I hear you loud and clear about degreed people not finding paying jobs in their field of study. Many years ago, I graduated with a B.S. in Mass Comm and minor in PR. No one told me there was no money in those fields, heck my Dad was just thrilled to see me going to school (as he only went to 10th grade), the "guidance advisors" at the school were more than happy to tell me I was going in a great direction... So, after a year of working in radio, I quit and went into the hands on trades. I ended up making 4X the $$ I was making in radio.

My point of that anecdote wasn't to brag about landing on my feet, as much as to demonstrate that people have to follow the money more than following their dreams. The opportunities are there, people just need to want it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - SunsetBengal - 05-24-2015, 11:17 PM