Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorry this happened in your city
(10-30-2018, 02:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree with Nately, here, which I'm sure is no surprise given my statement. If you look at Webster's, they list it like this: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/canned

I'd have a hard time not classifying the "thoughts and prayers" in with that.

One could even argue that "thoughts and prayers" has been run into the ground so much that it has become hijacked and turned into a statement of disconnected apathy.  It's possible saying "thoughts and prayers" meant something at one point, but you can only associate something with pointless killings so much before the endlessly repeating negativity of the action that inspires the saying rubs off on it.

I don't blame people for saying it, but I also don't blame people for associating that phrase with apathy and a pervasive societal urge to respond to domestic issues by twisting the facts or sweeping them under the rug.  Personally, I associate "thoughts and prayers" with "let's do nothing and pretend this isn't a big deal" but that's just me.  Politicians have ruined that statement for me. Plus, it's selective application can be seen as an agenda. Thoughts and prayers are a fitting response to a white guy shooting people, but we want legislation to protect us from Mexican rapists...not cheap ass words!

Things change. Words change. You can name your daughter after the Egyptian goddess of the moon...but 99.9% of people aren't going to think of that when they hear the name Isis.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sorry this happened in your city - Nately120 - 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM