Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Stamps Put Poor Kids on Path to Success
(12-06-2018, 11:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The only real problem I ever had with food stamps/SNAP was there was no directive on what all you could buy with it.

They should have made it so you can only buy fresh (or canned) fruit/vegetables, grains/beans/potatos/etc, meat, and milk (or baby food/formula). The things you actually need to get nutrition and grow up healthy.

Instead you all-too-often see people using their food stamps to get sugar water (kool-aid, pop, popsicles, 0% fruit "juice") and candy.

So I would want some kind of mandate towards buying real food only, or maybe see about having some kind of food delivery program where the government mass produces/buys the canned goods/grains/powered milk or whatnot that you need to get nutrition and packages them and ships them out. It would likely be cheaper when done in huge numbers than sending out SNAP cards loaded with money to use on garbage "food". (And theoretically could be a boost for the USPS.)

That's my biggest issue. Back a million years ago when I worked in a grocery, it would drive me crazy when peeople would come in and buy a bunch on junk with the stamps. Not too long ago a gas station put up a big banner saying "now accepting ebt." No idea what you can get there as it's all some, candy bars, and beef jerky.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Food Stamps Put Poor Kids on Path to Success - Benton - 12-07-2018, 12:42 PM