Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Criminal Justice Reform
While I understand why there are mandatory minimums, I never liked them. Three strikes laws as well. At least this reduces it from life to 25 years.

I didn't understand this part:

Quote:Not every inmate would benefit from the changes. The system would use an algorithm to initially determine who can cash in earned time credits, with inmates deemed higher risk excluded from cashing in, although not from earning the credits (which they could then cash in if their risk level is reduced).

But algorithms can perpetuate racial and class disparities that are already deeply embedded in the criminal justice system. For instance, an algorithm that excludes someone from earning credits due to previous criminal history may overlook that black and poor people are more likely to be incarcerated for crimes even when they’re not more likely to actually commit those crimes. So although the bill would put checks on the algorithm, it’s turned into a controversial portion of the bill even among criminal justice reformers.

Is it incarceration history or criminal history?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Criminal Justice Reform - jj22 - 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM
RE: Criminal Justice Reform - michaelsean - 12-19-2018, 11:58 AM
RE: Criminal Justice Reform - jj22 - 12-19-2018, 12:01 PM
RE: Criminal Justice Reform - GMDino - 12-19-2018, 12:15 PM
RE: Criminal Justice Reform - Bengalzona - 12-19-2018, 01:13 PM
RE: Criminal Justice Reform - Benton - 12-20-2018, 12:47 AM
RE: Criminal Justice Reform - BmorePat87 - 12-20-2018, 10:50 AM