Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Mike McCarthy Please
(01-01-2019, 12:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What is Mike’s emphasis?  Offensive line!  He passionately believed in keeping Aaron Rodgers as clean as possible to allow deep plays to develop.  Finally, I remember a few years ago when the Packers’ outstanding right tackle, Bryan Bulaga, went down with an injury and his backup performed expertly.  This means McCarthy develops quality depth not just excellent starters.

Not sure if I agree with this...  McCarthy inherited a good offensive line, but it declined sharply as his tenure progressed.  Recently, the Packers have consistently been one of the worst teams in the "sacks allowed" category -- dead last in 2009 and, apart from an outlier year in 2014, bottom-10 in each of the last 8 years.  I think '09 was the year we sacked Rodgers 6-7 times.  And Rodgers was sacked 49 times last year.  McCarthy certainly has tried to protect Rodgers.  They have one of the higher-paid o-lines, and he typically uses a blocking back or TE on most passing plays, but they haven't been able to get the job done.  Not sure if it's injuries, wrong personnel, poor drafting, or something else.

My biggest problem with McCarthy, though, apart from his poor game management, is how he plays ineffective vets over more talented younger guys.  Like playing Jamal Williams and Ty Montgomery over Aaron Jones for most of this past year when Jones was clearly the better back.  Those were two of my biggest issues with Marvin, too (behind lack of discipline/accountability).

Love the SB win, but I wouldn't be thrilled if we brought McCarthy in.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interview Mike McCarthy Please - McC - 01-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Interview Mike McCarthy Please - bjf123 - 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM
RE: Interview Mike McCarthy Please - shanebo - 01-03-2019, 07:58 PM