Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference Between A Jail And A State Reformatory?
(01-18-2019, 09:11 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Not to high-jack Brad's thread, but I've got a quick aside about the bolded above.  I moved to LaGrange a handful of years ago, and needed a job.  The prison is always hiring, so I applied for an admin/clerical position. Went in for an interview and it was one of the strangest things I've done. 

First, after I got through security, no one came to get me.  I was just standing around, alone, for a good five minutes before my interviewer, an older gentleman, 'found' me.  Then we went back to a conference room where another older guy was waiting.  The first thing they asked me was if I was ok with profanity. I'm super fine with it, so after than every sentence out of their mouth contained some. The questions started off like a normal interview: where'd you go to school, what's your idea of teamwork, etc. Then it got weird.

They asked if I'd have a problem being spit on, because I'd have to walk through the yard to get to the admin building every day and the prisoners would spit on and curse at me as I did. Then they went over what the job was.  Started out with this filing records, sending requests, just office stuff.  Then they added that there was currently a guard shortage and I'd be sent to 'the academy' and have a rotation as a guard 'at least once a week'.  The next question was 'do you just want to be a guard? They make a lot more than what this job makes". I did not want to be a guard, so at this point I'm like 'naw, this isn't for me'.

Then one of the guys leans back and asked if I'm married. I said yes.  He asked if I have young children, which I do. He looks me right in the eyes and says 'if you take this job, you'll need to find a hobby or something to do.  Because this place is full of awful people who have done awful things and it will get to you.  You will abuse your wife and children if you don't find something to distract you.  I've lost two marriages to this place and he's lost one.  So, that's something you need to think about.  You're young. You don't want this place to ruin your life'.

I know they have to tell you these things because that's the way it is.  It was just weird since I've only had 'normal' office jobs that didn't include dealing with rapists and murders everyday. So I left with no intentions of taking this job it offered.  After something like 3 weeks I figured I didn't get the job, but then they called and asked if i was still interested. I said no i wasn't and the lady got pretty snippy with me saying "well, they were going to call you later today with an offer!".

A few days after that a prisoner held a nurse hostage in the medical office for a few hours. Sounds like it's not a great place for anyone.

I don't believe that one bit. My little brother is in corrections and while he's arrogant and a bit of a pr*** he isnt violent.

I couldn't do it because how you have to treat the inmates denying them any human rights and privacy. I understand they deserve it but I just think privacy is important so I just couldn't treat anyone like they have too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Difference Between A Jail And A State Reformatory? - Synric - 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM