Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Left-Wing Media Is Ruining My High School
(01-21-2019, 06:15 PM)Benton Wrote: News agencies over the last 40 years, like most businesses, have drifted towards corporate ownership. Even ones that aren't still have to make a buck. And therein lies the problem.

Journalism is largely paid for through advertising, and the bigger your audience, the bigger the dollars. That problem is compounded by the current business approach of 'maximize short-term profits, don't worry about long-term gains' which has decimated news rooms and made far inferior products.

I don't disagree that this would help, but only with people who don't understand the difference and only in a minor way. There's still going to be some folks who word things with bias, and even more who think everyone does. No matter how impartial a story, there's always going to be someone who thinks without an open mind.

That's a big part of it, and part of the problem with reduced news rooms. At the small 14 person paper I started at, no story went out without having three reads and the editor would call and question anything that didn't sound right or plausible. When I left that paper, corporate layoffs had reduced the staff to five and things generally got one read.

I remember one of our exercises in a radio class I was taking was to write a headline (maybe a story too) with no bias in it.

Not as easy as it sounds.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Left-Wing Media Is Ruining My High School - GMDino - 01-21-2019, 06:19 PM