Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Left-Wing Media Is Ruining My High School
(01-21-2019, 06:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't disagree that this would help, but only with people who don't understand the difference and only in a minor way. There's still going to be some folks who word things with bias, and even more who think everyone does. No matter how impartial a story, there's always going to be someone who thinks without an open mind.

Also, facts do not self-select for reporting, do they?

Some reporter has to bring a set of priorities to his/her observation to determine what is relevant to his/her audience.

Reporters from Israel, North Dakota, and Russia might view the same session of Congress on a given day and come away with rather different accounts of what happened that was "important." And all might be factually correct. Same if a Mexican, a Japanese, and a New York Times reporter were reporting on a "Caravan" crossing the border from Guatemala and heading for the U.S. Not only do I not see anything wrong with that; I don't see a possible alternative.  Without some kind of angle--with a built-in evaluation or "bias"--it would not be possible to report at all.

Seems to me that one has to recognize the role of this "angularity" in reporting, the determination of what "the facts" are and which should be reported, so the discussion of standards and distinctions of fact vs opinion and the like take it into account.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Left-Wing Media Is Ruining My High School - Dill - 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM