Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Marvin Loyalty Means Whole New Look
(01-24-2019, 12:00 PM)HuDey Wrote: Thank you for offering your view of the situation. I agree that failure to rise is a team wide problem and not solely on the shoulders of Marvin and or Dalton. I also agree that more of the blame for this should be on Marvin as he is ultimately responsible for how his players perform. He has a big hand in which players are on the roster and which ones see the field on Sundays.

Having said that, Andy Dalton as a starting QB is in a high profile position of on-field leadership. His job goes beyond just taking snaps and running plays. He has to be a motivator, he has to inspire his teammates, and he also has to lead by example and promote a sense of urgency between the lines. I think that Dalton has a pretty good physical skill set, but his intangible game is sorely lacking. His playing style is a product of Marvin Lewis era coaching, and for these reasons I feel that he also should share a portion of the blame for the failure to rise issue. These reasons are also why I feel that Dalton is the wrong guy to lead this team into a new culture.

Agree with a lot of this, and to be clear, I am all for finding a successor at the QB position.

When I look at Marvin's tenure as a whole, I see a lack of preparation (how many times has it looked like the opponents were in our huddle?), a lack of urgency and fire (how many times has the team come out flat in big games?), I see a lot of getting schooled by playoff caliber opponents, i.e. primetime games (no () needed here), and I see failure to adjust.

When I see all of that, I put it on the staff more than the players.  That's just my opinion.

As for Andy, I think he's got good intangibles, and is limited a tad on some physical traits.  He is good with presnap reads, he's cool and calm in the huddle (see his remarks to Hue in the Seattle game, and what teammates say about him in the huddle), he gets the ball out quickly.  I'm anxious to see him in a different system.  Then, we'll know for sure.  He looked pretty good under Hue's guidance combined with work with Tom House.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: No More Marvin Loyalty Means Whole New Look - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-24-2019, 01:26 PM