Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds making push for Realmuto
(02-03-2019, 01:44 AM)kevin Wrote: I have mixed feelings here.  My first reaction is not to do it.  Reds are talking trading gold glove catcher and too many top players in minors  for this catcher.  Reds just got out from under Mesoraco contract of all his injuries and came out with gold glove, strong arm to second Barnhart.  The Reds minor league players Marlins want are considered some of best in baseball and are suppose to be Reds future.  I don't see Realmuto as Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Carlton Fisk, Mike Piazza.  I can't see trading this many future key players plus a gold glove catcher for Marlins catcher.

So I'm against it except.    Except if Bell wants the trade, he is the new manager and I let him build his team.  Otherwise, I'm against trading Gold Glove Barnhart and all these top Reds minor league players for Marlins catcher.  

Barnhart plays in Great American SMALL Park.  This means he should wack 20 homers and get RBI's plus give Reds Gold Glove catching. Where is the problem ?  Reds have other needs.  Barnhart is NOT Reds problem.  Often I had Barnhart in Fantasy Baseball. He puts up as good of numbers as most catchers each week, and often is one of the better hitting catchers some weeks.  What Fantasy Baseball in its stupidity doesn't show is his Gold Glove Defense.  I would not trade him and all these others for Marlins catcher.  Many weeks Barnhart will put up better hitting numbers than Realmuto, and Barnharts Gold Glove is a constant.   If Reds are going for better pitching, you want a Barnhart for Sparky Anderson D up the middle and to manage the pitchers behind the plate.  

I would like to see Reds add some of these free agents still out there. If they can get some of these relief pitchers later in free agency on the cheap. why not.  Same with some starting pitchers and everyday players still out there.  If Reds could get a Gio Gonzalez on the cheap, and if he and Wood have comeback years, Reds would be awesome.  Reds made the big moves. I would now be looking at small market players on the cheap that could be steals.  I would not mind Brandon Phillips back on the cheap if he accepts that he is no longer an every day player, but a good player to have on the bench.  There are still a lot of good names in free agency needing a team and time is running out on them and their agents.  Keep Gold Glove Barnhart and focus on some late free agent steals.
But what was mentioned before was that glove placement by Realmuto is one of the best and his arm is better than Barnhart.  This trade only works if the reds can get an extension on his contract.  Plus, Realmuto has better offensive numbers and this offense already is going to be great.  

I do wish they would get another elite pitcher but Keuchel is the only one that is decent left and he is not worth the cost.  Kluber may work but the Reds would lose Senzel and I think even if Senzel plays CF well, he moves to 2nd base when Gennett is let go.  Trammell likely will be in the Majors in 2020 in CF.  But his arm strength is not great.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reds making push for Realmuto - CJD - 01-28-2019, 07:23 PM
RE: Reds making push for Realmuto - CJD - 01-29-2019, 12:28 PM
RE: Reds making push for Realmuto - Stewy - 01-30-2019, 03:51 PM
RE: Reds making push for Realmuto - Stewy - 01-30-2019, 04:11 PM