Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The right's obsession with AOC
(02-27-2019, 10:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a criticism in doing things like that, though. When states use incentives like that specific to a company it is effectively choosing winners and losers in the market.

I agree to an extent.  Larger breaks are always going to go to larger employers by the mere fact that they will employ more workers.

Quote:The more equitable way to lure businesses to the state is to make overall policies more business friendly. We have relied on these sorts of incentives in Virginia for a long time, as well, and analyses done of our economic health have pointed to them as weaknesses that we need to shore up before they come back around to bite us in the ass. And we are more pro-business than states like New York or California, so I can only imagine what they deal with.

On this we agree completely.  I'm also pleased to hear that VA actually analyzes the effects of their laws and policies in this regard.  In regards to CA, I have friends that own their own business (mainly contracting and construction) and they have a never ending litany of complaints about CA laws and the endless red tape and minutiae they have to deal with.  I know this is hardly the final word but both CA and NY are routinely listed as the worst states to do business in;

https://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst-states-business-2018/

That being the case they're going to have to do something to incentivize a large company to open up shop in their state.  If I'm a business owner I'm going to need a financial incentive large enough to make dealing with all the bureaucratic BS worth it.  I watched a fantastic video on this type of thing regarding my hometown, San Francisco.  As I'm at work I'm going to have to use my phone to post it so I'll do so in a moment.

Messages In This Thread
The right's obsession with AOC - GMDino - 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - CJD - 02-18-2019, 11:30 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-27-2019, 12:52 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:31 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:27 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-20-2019, 03:54 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM