Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
College Admissions Cheating Racket
(03-13-2019, 03:04 PM)Dill Wrote: I agree with most of this. Though if I were hiring a lawyer though, especially for a law firm, I would expect a better product from Yale than most other schools in the lower three quartiles, if only because the get the cream to work with in the first place, and then expose them to first rate professors.

The articles, I think, connect wealth to governance via access to elite schools. That is not the only route, of course, the most direct being to simply pay lobbyists and contribute to campaigns.  When it comes to distributing ambassadorships--both sides do it.

All people don't buy the "rich=smart" equation. But certainly enough did in the last election to make it a serious problem. 
I wonder if there is any other country on earth where the rich are so admired by the not-so-rich.

I agree with that as a general idea from the last couple centuries. But today, I think, we just flaunt it out there that if you're wealthy, you're better and therefore you should be in charge. From the Kardashian mindset to the elevation of guys like Trump, we don't really care how you got rich and famous, only that you are. And if you are, then you should continue to be elevated because you "got yours" and we expect to "get ours" whenever we get there.

And there's the flaw. The American dream is that we all get there. Except we don't teach about generational poverty and how difficult it is to escape and ... more importantly... how to escape.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
College Admissions Cheating Racket - Dill - 03-13-2019, 12:47 AM
RE: College Admissions Cheating Racket - Benton - 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM