Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
College Admissions Cheating Racket
(03-13-2019, 03:31 PM)Benton Wrote: I agree with that as a general idea from the last couple centuries. But today, I think, we just flaunt it out there that if you're wealthy, you're better and therefore you should be in charge. From the Kardashian mindset to the elevation of guys like Trump, we don't really care how you got rich and famous, only that you are. And if you are, then you should continue to be elevated because you "got yours" and we expect to "get ours" whenever we get there.

And there's the flaw. The American dream is that we all get there. Except we don't teach about generational poverty and how difficult it is to escape and ... more importantly... how to escape.

LOL the only episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians that I watched revolved around two events:

1) Kim, in Hollywood, wanted to take friends to Louisiana to treat them to Cajun food, so she flew a group down there to a restaurant.

2) There is a hotel in Paris that makes THE BEST cheesecake, so she flew there to have some.  She was pregnant so this was treated as a craving. (Still, that is a 13 hr flight at least, so she was somewhat inconvenienced by distance.)

These events were sandwiched between the most ordinary discussions of breaking relationships and fashion sense. Middle school level.

Does this ever raise the question in viewers' minds--what do I do with wealth once I have it?  Is existence more meaningful once I can fly to Paris for a snack? Maybe it is absence of meaning, or of any ability to frame life in meaningful terms, that makes wealth for its own sake a default goal and symbol of "achievement."  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
College Admissions Cheating Racket - Dill - 03-13-2019, 12:47 AM
RE: College Admissions Cheating Racket - Dill - 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM