Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okeana's Bengals Big Board - 2019 - Top 40
(04-24-2019, 02:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: He can play with his hand down as a DE and still be a top 3 DE in this class. People think he is a small guy but he is 6'5 260 with a solid frame. His best value is standing up, but a good DC will move him around. We worked him out so the idea "he doesn't fit this team" may be a stretch. 

Yes, that's what people say.  I have a differing opinion.  A lot of people get worked out and sometimes those people get drafted... then they don't pan out.  In the draft world, 1+1 doesn't always equal 2 or every team would hit on every draft pick.  Josh Allen is not a bad player and he will be drafted in the top 10 without a doubt, but unless they're transforming their base package to a 3-4 I won't put him on my board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdlsElEJAJI

Just for example watch every snap of his game against Georgia.  Almost no penetration every time he gets stood up by tackles he's completely shut down.  The only time he flashes is when he's playing standing up and can move in space.  He doesn't have great hand fighting, spin moves, or rips when playing DE in a 4-3.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpTuLRPefnc

compare this to a guy rated later in the draft Chase Winovich vs Notre Dame.  I like Winovich's hands much better for a DE.  He has several tools to win matchups against offensive lineman and you see most of them in this game.  He loves to grab guys by the numbers and pull them down then rush past them.  He shows spin moves, arm chops, bull rush,  and he will hit some guys with those E Honda hands so they never get ahold of him.  Most importantly you can see how he leans and bends around the edge.  

No way should a 2nd round guy be able to flash better on tape than a guy ranked in the top 5 of a draft in a similar position and that's why I project Allen to be a OLB in the NFL because it takes advantage of his athletic traits and removes him from the offensive line clutter that you experience playing with your hand in the dirt.  

Being critical of myself I think leaving Burns on this list may be a mistake because the more I think about it and watch him I don't know even with the weight if he will ever be a true DE.  I may have some editing to do time to watch some more tape.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Okeana's Bengals Big Board - 2019 - Top 40 - Okeana - 04-24-2019, 03:26 PM