Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS says it's OK to "punch a Nazi"
(04-17-2019, 06:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have to say, this whole clip sickens me.  Saying you can't punch a Nazi because of their opinions is not an endorsement, tacit or otherwise, of their beliefs.  For a major network to be advocating violence against people for their political view, regardless of how abhorrent, is a very bad sign.  I would hope that we all here recognize just how dangerous a concept is being advocated here and just how vile CBS's little public service announcement is.

I have resolved to watch this episode of The Good Fight if I can find it on tv tonight.

Before watching it, I want to say that I view CBS as a platform and a business seeking profit. They are not necessarily endorsing the programs they sell to advertisers and audiences as their point of view or politics.

I also want to say there are some basic free speech issues involved both in presenting a character who advocates punching a Nazi and a network which airs the program.  In the U.S., media "platforms" frequently remove content their viewers object to, regardless of free speech rights.

Even limiting ourselves to the program itself, it is not clear from the fact that a show includes a character who says "It's time to punch a Nazi," that that is the viewpoint of the writers, directors, producers, etc.   What else is going on around the character? Are we shown negative consequences for that statement?  Was it an attempt to recreate and represent the actual complexity of current social conflicts? 

If I can watch it, then I want to look more at the conservative reaction to it.  Can't really assess that until I see the show.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: CBS says it's OK to "punch a Nazi" - Dill - 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM