Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism"
(04-29-2019, 11:32 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I guess the biggest reason is I know Republicans. And I am related to Republicans. And if I allowed myself to believe that they were all racist...man. That'd be a dark moment in my life.

I know a couple myself.  The charge is not that ALL are racist. Every person should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Some publicly protest and criticize Trump's behavior, but will still vote for the tax cuts and SCOTUS picks. Or consider the vote against Hillary more important. It's a matter of priorities. But the result is that support/defense of Trump can't go forward without some degree of accommodation to Trump's nationalism and racism. Sometimes this accommodation leads to denial that Trump is racist , and of the national/international consequences of having a national leader like that. Until he publicly, unequivocally, and repeatedly condemns white nationalism, his election and behavior are hope and inspiration to white nationalists, who see in his election a step towards normalizing their views and certainly their policy goals.

When assessing the current Republican party, we have to recognize also that while some find the accommodation difficult and soul searching, many do not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism" - Dill - 04-30-2019, 12:16 AM