Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism"
(04-30-2019, 10:27 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I was curious if this was actually the case, which I figured it wasn't. 

Spoiler alert: It's not.  Mellow

In the 1980s the federal government spent between 15-20 million per year on the department of education. Spending picked up to a peak of 40 million in the 1990s. Spending has fluctuated for the past ~20 years, but has never come close to the spending of the 80s and only twice got down around 40 million. It has gotten over 100 million twice in that time span as well. If you want to talk about mishandling of funds I'm all for that. Efficient federal spending would save us billions. Maybe certain states have "massively" cut education spending, but you can't generalize that to the entire US. 

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/history/edhistory.pdf

This is the result of relying on terrible assessment models to help determine policy effectiveness in education. Both at the federal and state levels there is a trend of throwing money into a hole with education because of an over-reliance on outcomes based assessment that doesn't adequately analyze data that is inherently qualitative and we are very bad at quantifying.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism" - Belsnickel - 04-30-2019, 11:11 AM