Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocasio-Cortez and House Democrats roast Wilbur Ross over census citizenship question
(05-31-2019, 11:39 AM)Benton Wrote: No.

And I don't get the 'this is a revelation' feel from the story. The guy wrote a study in 2015 on the topic. I'm assuming it was published in some regard? Like, anyone could have read it?

The way I read it the "revelation" is that it was the reasoning behind the Administration's decision for the question change.

Quote:And months after urging President Trump’s transition team to tack the question onto the census, he wrote the key portion of a draft Justice Department letter claiming the question was needed to enforce the 1965 Voting Rights Act — the rationale the administration later used to justify its decision.

The new evidence demonstrates a direct through-line from Dr. Hofeller’s conclusion that adding a citizenship question would advantage Republican and non-Hispanic whites to DOJ’s ultimate letter. The new evidence thus not only contradicts testimony in this case, but it shows that those who constructed the VRA rationale knew that adding a citizenship question would not benefit Latino voters, but rather would facilitate significantly reducing their political power. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ocasio-Cortez and House Democrats roast Wilbur Ross over census citizenship question - GMDino - 05-31-2019, 12:31 PM