Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More tariffs paid by US consumers
(06-10-2019, 03:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just stop it; everybody knows he was talking about Mexico as he mentioned it the prior post. These things work better when we are intellectually honest.

Dude obviously wondered why no one commented on Mexico being a success

A reply was What about China?

In my book that's "whataboutisim" or more correctly worded a  variant of The Appeal to Hypocrisy Fallacy. The variance being the intention of the reply was to slur the subject and not the messenger.   It was used to deflect from the success with Mexico

I shouldn't have said informal rules I should have said fluid.

Since the thread was a general discussion about the tariffs in place, using the potential Mexican tariffs as a launching point for the discussion, and since the post was commenting on the thread not being updated, I was simply pointing out how the recent news does not change the issue the thread was discussing.

(06-10-2019, 03:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, I think "whataboutisim" can be used as long as it's intention is not to deflect from the point and it's a term I would only use in a facetious/ mocking manner.

So what you're saying is that when you use the term you are mocking others, a behavior that very well could be perceived as trolling with the intent to instigate, a violation of the CoC.

Next time there is bitching about enforcement of the rules around here, keep in mind that you skirt by them on the regular.

(06-10-2019, 04:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In a nutshell I'd think it would be for them to play on fair terms.  Our relationship, trade wise, is immensely one sided.  They also have been plundering US IP for decades without any consequence of note.  They are a less openly belligerent USSR and I have no doubt that their long term goals are not remotely peaceful.

I think that there needs to be more strategy in these actions. There was an article a year ago out of Brookings talking about how much Trump was moving the goalposts in the threats and the back and forth. This caused difficulty in getting usual allied countries to buy in to the effort, which is truly needed for a significant, lasting effect.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: More tariffs paid by US consumers - Belsnickel - 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM