Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Wall Street pay off student debt
(06-24-2019, 10:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I am glad you didn't mention them...

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/highest-paid-college-coaches/

Or that fact college athletics are swimming in money https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2017/07/06/colleges-spending-more-their-athletes-because-they-can/449433001/

But for some reason student costs continue to go up. Right along side spending to fund this stuff... For some reason I feel like I would need a college class to teach me how the two are related or unrelated.

Thankfully in the long run it is best for the nation. Anything that helps guys like Tyreek Hill land that mega pay day. Thousands of athletes making tens of millions of dollars for playing a kids game while the average joe can not afford to go to the stadium and support them seems like a huge success story for capitalist greed.  This is a lesson many division 1 colleges are actively trying to teach.

So funding for athletics isn't paid from tuition, but it a portion of it is paid for out of student fees. Only the largest and most successful athletics programs have athletics programs that pay for themselves without it being subsidized by the other students. So this is a driver of the rising costs, but not the largest contributor by a long shot. Now, a university will tell you that the intangibles as well as the indirect tangible returns from spending on athletics is large, but is it really worth it? I couldn't say. I know we saw some good returns both times we hosted College Gameday as an FCS school.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Wall Street pay off student debt - Belsnickel - 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM