Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Wall Street pay off student debt
(07-02-2019, 08:13 PM)Dill Wrote: 5. I didn't see the relevance of your original reference to the government paying your mortgage; if you support public k-12 then you establish that education (to which your analogy should equally apply) is a different category.

4. And I don't see kids who don't "sacrifice" getting much in the way of scholarships. What does earning scholarships have to do with loans and rising tuition? Why should forgiving loans lead to giving scholarship time back?  No idea really what you are talking about here. The time spent earning scholarships is generally time spent increasing knowledge and skill--exactly what you are supposed to be doing in school. Somehow you see that time as analogous money lent? Returnable or forgiven?

3. Looking to forgive debt now--even partial forgiveness--would be to restore an older status quo. No idea how the term "revision" could apply here.

To repeat--we are in this quandry because, contrary to founding intent, a political faction, in order to cut its own tax burden, has shifted more and more cost of public higher ed onto students.

5. The mortgage is a debt I freely incurred much like student debt (aka the relevance). Nothing to do with K-12 public education. 

4. I do not know how much more simple I can make it. Kids spent time to earn scholarships so they wouldn't incur college debt. 

3. There is no "status quo" you still "cheat" those that chose to avoid the debt. Continuing to point to the cost of the debt does nothing  change that dynamic.

She above point of how much college costs does not change the dynamic of how paying off the debt disadvantages those that chose not to incur the debt.

WTS, I'll just leave it as we disagree on the option of the government repaying freely incurred debt. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Wall Street pay off student debt - bfine32 - 07-02-2019, 09:28 PM