Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Stupid Things Said At The Democratic Debate
(07-03-2019, 11:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Essentially, you would replace your insurance premium with a payroll tax. Since Medicare is, on average, more efficient than private insurers it would presumably be a lower amount than what you are used to as an insurance premium.

Medicare, right now, is paid for out of a payroll tax (you pay FICA, a combination of SS/OASDI of 6.2% and HI/Medicare of 1.45%, which is also matched by your employer much like insurance premiums now are paid in part by employers). So, essentially, if you opt-in then your HI portion would increase, but you would no longer have an insurance premium to pay.

I guess that could work, but unfortunately I think it will drive private insurance costs higher. The medicare/medicaid plans are already bloated with so much regulation it can get a little ridiculous. My current insurance premium is only $35 per two-week paycheck. I wouldn't mind going this route, but I feel it may complicate a problem and do little to alleviate health care costs. I do think it would drive us to a single payer system, which is the end goal for a lot of people. 

It's a long list, and from 2014, but there is a lot of information about medicare reimbursements in here. 
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/finance/100-things-to-know-about-medicare-reimbursement.html
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stupid Things Said At The Democratic Debate - Aquapod770 - 07-03-2019, 12:04 PM