Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How NYT Celebrates Apollo 11 50th Anniversary
(07-22-2019, 04:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I completely disagree with comparing this to 9/11. I think that's an absurd comparison even qualified as "analogous". I think it's comparable to the Smithsonian writing articles on how Canada views their "wins" against the US during the War of 1812 on the 200th anniversary of the war.

Why, because one is a tragedy, and thus likely to provoke a more visceral response, and the other is an accomplishment?   

Quote:The moon landing signifies winning the space race. This article points to another milestone the Soviets sought to win before the Americans. If I am going to write about this, I would write about it when people are going to be most interested. It's not disrespectful. It shouldn't be seen as disparaging of the US. 

What milestone is this the USSR was trying to "achieve", racial equality?  I don't know that their record in that regard is one to be lauded.  Racial division being a very hot topic right now the inclusion of this information in an article on the moon landing really seems like an attempt to diminish the accomplishment and point out flaws in the US during a moment in which the US should be celebrated for this herculean task.  How about toasting a couple on their 30th wedding anniversary and mentioning the time thirteen years ago when the husband cheated?  You're still talking about their relationship, right?

I don't think we're going to agree on this one, I think that information being included is done in poor taste.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How NYT Celebrates Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-22-2019, 06:45 PM