Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How NYT Celebrates Apollo 11 50th Anniversary
(07-22-2019, 06:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why, because one is a tragedy, and thus likely to provoke a more visceral response, and the other is an accomplishment?   

What milestone is this the USSR was trying to "achieve", racial equality?  I don't know that their record in that regard is one to be lauded.  Racial division being a very hot topic right now the inclusion of this information in an article on the moon landing really seems like an attempt to diminish the accomplishment and point out flaws in the US during a moment in which the US should be celebrated for this herculean task.  How about toasting a couple on their 30th wedding anniversary and mentioning the time thirteen years ago when the husband cheated?  You're still talking about their relationship, right?

I don't think we're going to agree on this one, I think that information being included is done in poor taste.

Yes, I think the difference between a tragedy and an accomplishment matters. As to the merits of the Soviets declaring a win, whether or not they had the standing to do so should not determine whether or not we can or should discuss it. 

Like I said before, and I add my professional weight to this, we shouldn't be afraid to discuss history that makes us uncomfortable, no matter the emotional reaction it rightfully or wrongfully evokes. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How NYT Celebrates Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - BmorePat87 - 07-22-2019, 09:08 PM