Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scaramucci thinks Trump mind is gone!
(09-05-2019, 11:36 AM)Dill Wrote: Voting is not the only way citizens hold a president accountable. That's why ours is called a system of checks and balances. The courts and Congress also hold the president accountable--or don't sometimes.

Nixon and Clinton were checked by impeachment proceedings. (Nixon's own AG resigned before carrying out an illegal order; can we count on Barr to do that?) But for such proceedings to go forward, as you know, first the HoR and then the Senate have to act. Many in those bodies, or most, are afraid to do that now, to hold the President accountable, because they are themselves accountable to voters who don't want the president impeached. Quite the opposite.

We have a president whose obstruction of justice, racially divisive comments, and violation of campaign laws offer three separate but combinable grounds for impeachment. Add to this numerous violations of the emoluments clause.  The grounds are certainly there.  

Were enough voters in the right states demanding impeachment, then they would hold the president accountable pre-election.  But we don't have it because enough people don't agree (or care) that Trump is guilty of any of the above. They are a minority, but a large minority. If two senators representing 40+ million in CA were ready to vote for impeachment, they could be easily trumped by less than three million people in Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming who could muster six senators against.

That's why I'm complaining that, first Congress, and then their voters, are not holding him accountable. This is ultimately on the voters, on their judgment, first for electing Trump and then in joining him in denial of manifest incompetence.

You know all this though. I'm just "mansplaining" to another man.  I'm guessing you just think impeachment would be worse/messier than waiting for an election.

No I don't know all of this.  Impeachment should be based on impeachable offenses, and not the opinion of the citizens.  The fact that it is is the fault of Congress.  The people hold elected officials accountable on election day unless there is some sort of recall ability.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scaramucci thinks Trump mind is gone! - michaelsean - 09-05-2019, 11:49 AM