Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite books when you were a child
(05-28-2015, 11:11 AM)xxlt Wrote: ^ That is a classic, and yes we really did read them in addition to looking at the pics. Playboy always had some good writers and I assume it still does. Discovered it when I was about 10. The writing was better than Time or People (news and pop culture magazines with big circulations at the time) and it covered the same issues of news and popular culture. And, of course the photography was amazing. Even as a kid you got that the girls in there were a fantasy, but more importantly Playboy taught you it was ok to fantasize, when much of the world around you was telling you that was wrong. The monthly interviews were almost always excellent.

Before discovering Playboy, I read the sports page cover to cover from the time I was in first grade, and my favorite books at that time were probably "The Three Investigators" series. Hitchcock (the movie director) published them and I think there were several authors. They were sort of pulp for kids I guess, similar to the Hardy Boys mysteries but I always found the writing in The Three Investigators far superior. I also love sports biographies as a kid.

Small world, I came to this thread to type the exact same thing.  I loved that series.  Good ol Jupiter Jones....lol.

I was a big sports biography guy too, and there were books in our library about each Super Bowl, and the season for each team leading up to the big game.  I can't remember the title, but I loved reading those.  The Beckett Price Guide was another go to....although not necessarily reading.  Another hot topic early for me was WWII.  I loved a book called "Battle in the English Channel" about the tracking of the Nazi super battleships Bismarck, Gneisenau, and the Scharnhorst.  Good read.

I also got into Jules Verne and Ray Bradbury fairly early as well.  I loved the imagery and storylines.....and going back and reading them again as I got older, and understanding the social commentary involved made the experience all the more rewarding.

Of course Playboy was killer.....any of you guys remember the Weekly Reader from grade school?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Favorite books when you were a child - Wyche'sWarrior - 05-28-2015, 11:22 AM