Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should "retweeting" be a crime?
(10-02-2019, 09:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: As to the topic, it does raise a serious free speech question. Is simply sharing information criminal? It doesn't appear they did anything negative towards him with regards to said information (Teasing, intimidation, etc.). In reality, it doesn't appear anyone did anything derogatory to him based on the information but rather his fear of such a thing happening led to him committing suicide. I think for this to meet any sort of standard for bullying it would need to require some sort of malice, in most cases I'd think it would need to be repeated, towards the victim. 

I don't think the suicide should play a role unless they encouraged it (which they did not in this case), but how is someone outing another person not done in malice? 

In this circumstance, the allegation is that the girl who shared the texts was angry at Channing after finding out that her boyfriend had previously exchanged these texts with him and released them in response to an argument she then had with Channing. There's also the revelation that he had a history of being bullied at the school for being effeminate. 

Suggesting this type of graphic, public outing of a teen was "not negative" is a pretty wild claim. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should "retweeting" be a crime? - bfine32 - 10-01-2019, 10:41 PM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - BmorePat87 - 10-02-2019, 09:35 AM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - CJD - 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM