Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should "retweeting" be a crime?
(10-08-2019, 10:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well nobody can say you didn't try. Personally I think the issue comes down to how we define harassment. Benton tried to equate it to intent earlier, but all retweets (I know) of this nature are intended to harm. We have to ask ourselves is simply sharing information provided to you harassment. I can guarantee that everyone in this thread finds this suicide to be tragic, but are the kids that did nothing more than share it criminally liable? 

Once we go down that rabbit hole we may not stop.

Is the host of the media site responsible?
Is the object of the affection responsible?
Is the school for creating such an environment responsible?
Is culture responsible?

Maliciously outing someone to hundreds of people in a sexually explicit manner with personal information you were not an original party to all because you are mad at them and then refusing to act when they said they were going to kill themselves over it fits the definition of harassment. 

That's a little more than "just 'retweeted' information", as if it was a prank or something, and no amount of slippery slope fallacy can change that.  

Unfortunately this did not happen in Maryland, because Grace's Law would have held the perpetrator accountable. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should "retweeting" be a crime? - bfine32 - 10-01-2019, 10:41 PM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - CJD - 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - BmorePat87 - 10-08-2019, 10:58 PM