Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion
(10-19-2019, 11:21 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Seriously though, that whole "build the line before you get the QB" is so antiquated, i get a subdural hematoma every time i read it. That thinking went out the window as soon as FA started. You can do both or get the QB first, just as easy these days. 

You are right. It is harder to replace 5 guys as opposed to 1 guy. It's also harder to accumulate 5 good offensive linemen and then pay them all within 5 years. That's why you get the QB, then build around him--as you said, a mobile QB. One that has wheels is a plus. That QB can last a decade+ and he will fit under the cap easier than multiple offensive linemen. 

If i never see that '70s thinking around here again...it will be too soon. 

Just to stay on topic, the Bengals have a potential franchise LT, they have a guy playing well (though declining every week--hopefully he picks up this week) at center. They have a bunch of guys to compete for other positions and they have some good draft positions coming up. And then there's a couple offensive linemen out there in free agency. 

They really do have the ability to fix the line in 1 season. 

Sorry to hear it, but that is how I see it.

Do you remember how the Ravens were created?  The Jags?  Those teams had instant credibility because of the talent on their lines.  We need to ditch the "only a few pieces away" and really overhaul the roster.  To do that, we have to eschew the QB in next year's draft and try to get a haul for our first round pick.  I honestly see Miami winning before the Bengals.  There are more guys injured (are they really?  Or do they just not want to play?) and guys quitting (Glenn) here than anywhere else to my knowledge.  Could have first overall pick.  If they draft a 6'1" QB without mobility, it will not improve this team at all.  If they trade it with Miami even jor a few spots, it should yield an additional first rounder.  Get two Pro Bowlers with those first two picks (easier said than done, I know) and make some key FA acquisitions (I see the Bengals actually doing this as they might otherwise have to pay people to come to their games) and get competitive fairly quickly.  

Dalton is under contract one more year.  They will likely still be (well) below .500 next year and can test out Finley or even Dolegala before settling on a QB in the draft.  

So, instead of getting a subdural hematoma every time it comes up, maybe look at it as just waiting on the QB until Fields is in the draft and getting key talent at key positions while Dalton is still under contract.  Do you really think they would be able to move Dalton or start Tua over him?  That is why I would see that as a wasted year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion - SHRacerX - 10-20-2019, 12:26 PM