Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
No surprise: Trump will host the G7 at his own resort.
(10-18-2019, 06:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Other than his admin saying so? Nope.

I don't know how many more times I can type it looks bad, but if it saves taxpayers money; there has to be some good in it. 

(10-18-2019, 08:33 PM)Benton Wrote: As far as if it saves money, I'll support it. But the only way to really know if it does is to compare the numbers after the fact versus when it wasn't held at trump establishments. 

No guys.  Even if it saves taxpayers money, all that foreign money flowing into Trump's coffers, filling up a resort "at cost" (lol) which would otherwise be largely empty in June, would openly violate the emoluments clause, and to a degree never previously imagined.

So many things wrong here, starting with the unlikelihood that any real bids from other sites were seriously considered, and the show is run by flunkys desperately trying to please the boss.

Add to that the apparent, what, tone-deafness? Insensitivity? Inability to understand how this looks--WHILE AN IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY IS UNDERWAY??  It's like all the people who understood how government works, how the law works, and could make Trump listen, are gone.

Then there is principle and the norms violated by this offer, regardless of "savings."  Imagine a judge who also owns a private prison to which people he judges can be sent, or a judge who gets kickbacks for sending people there--it would not be ok for a judge to profit off that, even if the prison saved taxpayers money.

Thank heavens Trump has withdrawn the offer and this is a moot point now, but had he gone through with it, successfully, it would have set a terrible precedent, for yet another government "deal" on Trump properties and the inability of either the legislature or judiciary to check his power, or another president's power in the future.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: No surprise: Trump will host the G7 at his own resort. - Dill - 10-21-2019, 06:44 PM