Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Democratic Party has moved too far to the left.
(11-25-2019, 06:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is the party too far to the left, or has the Overton Window shifted to the right in the past few decades in a way that makes it appear that progressive ideas are extreme? Some of the policies mentioned in this thread have been favored by one or both parties at some point prior to the Reagan years.

In all seriousness, though, there are a lot of things at play in all of this. But the shifting Overton Window has a large role to play in this perception.

I mean, there's no doubt that the party is moving to the left. 10 years ago, the Democrats were not talking about universal healthcare, debt free college or any of the other policies mentioned in this post, at least not on a significant scale like we're seeing today.

But to the contrary of what some of the more right leaning or center right posters are saying, I don't think the party is moving to an extreme. I just think the Democrats are FINALLY beginning to occupy the left wing of the political spectrum after spending decades as the true center party.

Before now, there was no left wing party in America other than the Green party, who never really got any traction as a major part of American politics.

I think it's nice to finally have a progressive wing of American politics.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Democratic Party has moved too far to the left. - CJD - 11-25-2019, 09:25 PM