Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The last time we traded back in the 1st...
Terrible analysis - Tom Brady is an anomaly and probably would have been taken earlier if he was not part of a QB carousel his last year at Michigan. You can also factor in NFL draft tropes for why Wilson or Brees we’re not taken in the first such as height. Finally, your list did not contain the Manning bros or Roethlisberger. IMO, almost all the super bowl QBs not drafted in the first in the past 15 years would probably be drafted in the first now - look at Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson, and Mahomes. The biggest argument you missed that you could have made were Luck, Phillip Rivers, and Stanford.

You can also further start to look at 1st round busts and see the pattern of taking QBs that look the part (Gabbert, Trubisky, Bortles) and also separating the 1st rounders into the category of say taken in the top 5, 10, late second half, etc. and you will find that Burrows traits are more aligned with the likes of successful QBs taken in the top-5. Injury issues should not be retroactively applied to analysis unless they were known before they were drafted (RG3, Palmer). Josh Rosen had all the signs of someone who was content with being a backup. Vince Young was mishandled. Tim Tebow and Manziel were never meant to do anything in the NFL. Leinart was a bro. The list goes on and on.

There are two scenarios that would benefit the Bengals trading down:

1.) I don’t think the Redskins, Giants, or Detroit are looking for a new QB but would be willing to trade up for Chase Young. I could see the case where there is a three way trade something akin to Giants trading up including their first, and then the Bengals trading some of those picks to the Redskins to lock in Burrow.

2.) Having a Ditka trade with the Dolphins and be fine with drafting Tua.

Bengals don’t usually partake in FA, but I could see an acquisition for a less costly position such as guard and then we go WR or defense in second round.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The last time we traded back in the 1st... - DYT_Bengal - 01-02-2020, 05:48 PM