Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should newspapers endorse candidates?
(01-22-2020, 10:37 AM)Benton Wrote: As far as journalism, I don't disagree with the first line, but I do think the rest is off.

The majority of reporters I've worked with over two decades aren't concerned with exploding things. They're just doing their every day jobs. Sometimes those jobs blow up; sometimes they don't.

I wasn't referring to the journalists at all, I am referring to the people reading it. My point is whatever a journalist writes in today's world has already been agreed with or disagreed with by the headline before people read the article. An article could be perfectly balanced and people would call it biased because the eventual take is counter to their own opinion. It was a comment about the current climate of the population in general, not the journalists writing these things.

To the topic specifically, my point is it doesn't matter if a paper endorses a candidate or not. It is either immediately dismissed as "biased" or it is cheered because it agrees with their views. I see very few people interested in reading an endorsement and being open to changing their minds.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should newspapers endorse candidates? - Au165 - 01-22-2020, 01:10 PM