Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin on why the Bengals didn't trade veteran players
(01-28-2020, 12:04 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: They didn't let Whit walk. They made him an offer and he got a better one from another team. Whit could have taken the Bengals offer but he did what was in his best financial interest. The Bengals could have matched the offer but they didn't feel he was worth that given his age. 

They took a gamble as they felt they had players ready to step up when he walked. Similar to how the let Levi and used Whit in his place. The difference was the players behind Whit were not ready to replace him and he was ready to replace the injured Levi Jones. The gamble failed and cost ML and his staff their jobs, well most of the staff. 

Overall I'm not surprised they let him walk. As for Tobin comment, I get it and even when everyone here was stating trade for draft capital I was against it than. If we did trade as everyone wanted, there would be less pieces in play to help build around Burrow. Instead the organization would have to hope that whoever they draft pans out vs. players that have been producing, especially since the players many wanted to trade away are still under contract going into 2020. 

Exactly.

The part they messed up was the talent, if not replace Whit, but to grow into it at least.  The same with Zeitler.

They massively whiffed on all of those drafted and like you said those directly responsible are no longer with the team.

I have to believe that Alexander left a massive mess here by his lack of judgment.

If there's one thing positive that I can say about the front office is I don't blame them for not overpaying Zeitler,  and Whitworth is an anomaly if you say otherwise... you're a damn liar.

After the whole debacle though...  I've come to the conclusion that if a lineman going forward is worth a damn they should overpay and squeeze every last drop of talent out of them.

They're not very good at drafting lately and they'll have to severely overpay in external Free Agency.

That is even if the FA wants to come here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duke Tobin on why the Bengals didn't trade veteran players - BengalsRocker - 01-28-2020, 03:33 PM