Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Round Projections Available at #33
(04-24-2020, 11:44 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yea I see a huge difference, Jones can eventually play tackle and Lewis won’t. You can start Jones at Guard year one then next year move him to tackle.

As for WR it’s a tough read, I don’t know if the team sees it as a pressing need right now. Taylor said whoever they take at 33 needs to be a starter and no WR is starting this year and their reps are probably limited in a currently crowded room which makes me wonder if 33 and WR go together in the staffs mind.

65 is the perfect spot for a Lb as some combination of Logan Wilson, Willie Gay, Davis-Gaithersburg, and Malik Harrison should be there. I don’t think any stand out head and shoulders above so I’d take any.

With you on the LBs, but I think Gay is the best pure athlete and coverage man out of that group, so he is my #1.

And I get what you are saying about Jones....he could do exactly that:  start at RG and move to RT next year if Hart and/or Johnson don't take the job and run with it.  But I don't know, honestly, how much better a prospect he is at OT.  And, more importantly, will he be able to take over the job at RG and be a significant upgrade?  I think Lewis, a mauler, can do that....two rounds later.  

Here is what PFF had to say about Lewis, in reference to his matchup against Derrick Brown, the best defensive prospect in this draft not named Chase Young.  

4. DAMIEN LEWIS, LSU

Draft Board Rank: 85th
Lewis was born to play guard in the NFL. At 6-foot-3, 332 pounds, Lewis looks as if he couldn't get under 300 pounds even if he trained for a marathon. He also looks like he wouldn't cede an inch on a bull-rush against a Mac truck. And he routinely didn't until Auburn's Derrick Brown came along. While Brown got him a couple of times in that game, the matchup was must-see TV for any trench-play enthusiast. Both got their nice wins in, and Lewis held up about as well as any guard did against Brown all season.

And here is what they said about Josh Jones:

4. JOSH JONES, HOUSTON

Draft Board Rank: 14th
There was no more impressive offensive tackle at the Senior Bowl. His 54% win rate in the one-on-ones was the highest of any tackle in attendance. That’s no surprise after he earned the highest grade of any draft-eligible tackle during the regular season at 93.2 overall. While his pass sets need to be retooled to some degree, Jones’ hands are some of the best in the entire draft class. We also love that his pass protection grade has improved every single year of his career.

You can see they really liked him, but I have serious reservations about his level of competition.  His Senior Bowl week helped to alleviate some of those concerns.  

If the Bengals take Jones, and I suspect they will, I will just have to hope a receiver like Antonio Gandy-Golden is there in the 4th round.  I just really don't like our depth at WR at all.  Too many guys that do the same thing, not enough guys that are explosive and can generate quick separation.  It is a scoring league, and I want to give Burrow as many weapons as we can where he isn't getting killed waiting for someone to break away from a defender.  It seems like we are putting all our eggs in Ross's basket, and that is ironic given how fans on here have pretty much written him off.  

I won't hate the pick...far from it.  I just wish there was something we could do to get two 2nd round picks...like trade Dalton to Jax and pick up half his salary?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1st Round Projections Available at #33 - SHRacerX - 04-24-2020, 01:39 PM