Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As first deadline approaches, Biden and Trump camps begin a delicate transition dance
(05-06-2020, 01:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: What do you base this assumption on?

Imho the only factor is if the senate stays red. If it does, I see nothing of that sort happen.

Well, you cut out part of my explanation.

Senators are only indirectly dependent upon Trump, via his control of the "base."

One senator broke away during the last impeachment and three were on the edge. As that base erodes, I think more would the next time around, as more support peels away, especially in purple states.

I know you already know this, but I still love reminding you that in a month or two we will be dealing with an entirely new set of scandals even as the old ones linger, stuff completely unsuspected at the moment and unrelated to Stormy or Russia or Iran or Syria or the Ukraine or the Coronavirus or YET ANOTHER rape accusation. The surprises will continue if Trump wins re-election, perhaps with greater intensity as all the checks fall off. (I am thinking the next scandal may come from the DOJ's efforts to block investigation into Trump's finances while pursuing whistle blowers; or maybe from efforts to steer contracts for pandemic protection supplies to cronies.)

If I have read your past posts correctly, you conclude that since Trump continually manages to escape checks on his power, there is just no touching him. (I think Bels looks at it that way too.) This conclusion has some validity, as a succession of previously unthinkable breeches of decency have in fact become a "new normal," lacking the shock they'd have had four or five years ago.

But I don't see it that way. Each scandalous violation of law and ethics is one more bale of straw on the camel's back. Sure they keep piling up to no apparent effect, but critical mass will eventually be reached--if not before then coming election then afterwards, if he wins.  

[Image: 1aec5e71aafd8f077d750db5bd8d32e9.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: As first deadline approaches, Biden and Trump camps begin a delicate transition dance - Dill - 05-06-2020, 08:40 PM
RE - hollodero - 05-07-2020, 09:15 PM