Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This looks like it could get serious
(05-13-2020, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one said he wasn't diagnosed with Assmar. I think Biden had it just long enough to be disqualified from service.

Some children may "grow out of asthma" as they get older because we can't reliably diagnose children under the age of 4 with asthma because they aren't old enough to be compliant with testing.  In others, there asthma may become less severe to the point they don't need daily medications and rarely have an exacerbation except when they get sick with a cold and develop asthmatic bronchitis.  That's why the regulation mentions reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after age 13. Because asthmatics over the age of 13 rarely, if ever, "grow out of it."

Quote:Inability to walk in combat boots without pain could also be a dis qualifier, couldn't it?

Plantar fasciitis, not bone spurs, is temporarily disqualifying, but only for the duration of the pain which is typically weeks for most to months if recalcitrant to treatment.

Quote:Did/do you know anyone who served with Assmar. I know I do. 

http://arotc.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/AR-40-501-Standards-of-Medical-Fitness.pdf

page 30, 3-27a

Yes, I do.  But, that only applies to service members if they have been diagnosed with asthma after 6 months of service provided it isn't severe enough for referral for a MEB.  Because the rules for retention are different than the rules for enlistment.  This is also another thing you already know.

If they are diagnosed with asthma within six months of service it is considered a pre-existing condition and they will receive an EPTS chapter, again regardless of severity.

http://arotc.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/AR-40-501-Standards-of-Medical-Fitness.pdf

Messages In This Thread
RE: This looks like it could get serious - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-13-2020, 03:28 PM