Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump threatens to crack down on social media platforms
(05-28-2020, 04:23 AM)samhain Wrote: I, uh, don't think he can really do that.  He may try, or more likely he'll do something symbolic and grandiose-sounding.  In the end, any attempt to force a platform to favor him is going to get torn apart in any court worth a damn.  

He gets mad a lot, and his tirades are certainly nothing new, but I feel like we've entered a whole new level of meltdown mode with the president.  Even an objective observer would have to see his recent rows with Scarborough and the media platforms as misguided at best and moronically tasteless at worst.  He's losing whatever shit he has left right now.

If what he's doing has a shred of strategy, then it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt social media companies' stock.

I don't think it would get to a court.  I can't think of a mechanism he could use to have it shut down or threaten it.  He has as much authority as I do as far as that's concerned.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump threatens to crack down on social media platforms - michaelsean - 05-28-2020, 12:07 PM