Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous people from your (small) hometown
(07-12-2020, 08:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A great aunt of mine died in that tornado. I was at her house like a couple weeks before it happened. Every time I see or hear anything about Xenia I think about it. 

Anyways, Roy Rogers spent a large part of his early years growing up not to far from my home town. Gene Tenace again grew up very near me, his dad worked with my dad for a time. I've still got a baseball he got signed for me by most of the 1972 A's.

Don Gullet grew up right across the Ohio river from me. Larry Hisle and All Oliver are from Portsmouth. As is Kathleen Battle. Earl Thomas Conley is from West Portsmouth.

Going back to baseball Branch Rickey is from Portsmouth as well.  Reds fans will recognize Gene Bennett longtime Reds scout. 

Oh we've got a dispute here... My dad was friends with Earl Thomas Conley in highschool. He went by Tommy Conley back then. Actually it's probably not a dispute as he probably was born there, but spent his formative years in and around Xenia and Jamestown.

Isn't Keith Whitley from right across the river from Portsmouth too?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Famous people from your (small) hometown - jason - 07-13-2020, 12:46 AM