Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech disclosing he was gay
(05-30-2015, 11:44 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I can't agree with calling him selfish, because it's natural to be inclined to talk about one's self when giving any sort of address.  It's what you know best.  Valedictorian speeches always contain some aspect of the speaker's personal expereinces in school, and I'd imagine much of his personal experiences are colored by his sexual orientation and how he was viewed as a result.  It's the elephant in the room to him, I'm guessing, and he wanted to share.  

Having said that, in high school, you simply do not have the same free speech rights you would as an adult.  You can't wear a t-shirt that says "**** You" to class, and you have to have your speech approved before you can give it.  That's how the high school world works.   So, I have no trouble with his speech being censored for the ceremony.   It's what they do.  He will have many opportunities in college to share his thoughts on the subject.  

I do believe the "outting" was handled poorly by the principal.

Valedictorian speech is given to the one with the highest achievement .... The leader of the class .   Leaders don't  talk about themselves.... They talk about the ones they lead.  

He failed his first adult attempt at being a leader.  Hope he learns from his mistake for his next opportunity.   

The good news is that of your not failing your not getting better.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech disclosing he was gay - StLucieBengal - 05-31-2015, 12:42 AM