Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA...
(08-06-2020, 10:46 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: To be honest, I think the idea of ‘dissolving the whole organization’ is a hyperbole.  Unfortunately, hyperbole is more effective in singular instances coming from a relatively unknown figure rather than a constant barrage from those in a constant limelight.  I just don’t think they would put bets on their own ability to do as such.

It's not hyperbole when you file a motion in court to do exactly that.  It's a declared goal.  

Quote:That being said.  I almost feel like it would be better for those holding up the 2nd to fracture off into smaller groups at this point.  The stigma the NRA has fostered in the last decade is a black mark on its long term survival (imho).   Given the number of disenfranchised new gun owners as of late (myself included), who would never give a dime to this corrupt organization, smaller rights groups make much more sense.  

Call me naive, but a few progressive Black friends of mine have taken the leap to gun ownership because they no longer feel safe relying on the ‘state’.   I can’t disagree with them.  I took up recently when my neighborhood was no able to be adequately policed while 300 officers on a variety of vehicles were deployed to stop a dozen 20 y/o female liberal studies undergrads from yelling in front of the police station.  

There is a huge number of people who have taken up arms to protect themselves, fellow citizens and the state at large.   Unfortunately, the intrinsic tie of the NRA to the police will hamper their ability to fund 2nd rights down the road.

This is a good point.  I'm not sure I completely agree, but I do find it analogous to NATO.  If we had dissolved "NATO" post cold war and started a brand new organization with the exact same goals, mutual defense, then I highly doubt Russia would have the same issues with nations joining it.  They may have joined themselves.

Quote:Just my 2 cents.  Nothing pointed at anyone here by any means.

It makes sense.  I just don't think such a transition is possible now.  The NY AG made that an impossibility.  Like I said above, she created a political battle out of a criminal one.  As I've said numerous times in the past, this happens when prosecutors charge with their heart and not their head.  IMO this move was a horrible miscalculation on her part.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA... - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-07-2020, 12:07 AM