Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-16-2020, 07:32 PM)jason Wrote: It's not just young people though... We're more interconnected than we've ever been, but a large portion of Americans struggle with loneliness, and even feelings of isolation... It's probably amplified over the last 6 months or so.

I read a book back in college called In the Absence of the Sacred. It was written by a guy called Jerry Mander... Interesting name. Anyway; the book was a great read. I'd like to read it again with hindsight, but it basically covers the ills of technology on human kind.

I think people these days are extremely concerned with their "profile" or "public persona."  Much time is spent making sure they check off all the necessary boxes that they need to for acceptance by the public.

As a consequence, less time is spent developing meaningful relationships in isolated settings.  People have traded a few really good friends for 1000 acquaintances (and I use that in the lightest possible sense) on social media.  That is probably the source of the loneliness. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Von Cichlid - 08-16-2020, 07:47 PM